Learn 49 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles: why Friday the 13th scares us so much, the life of Ralph Lauren, and using climate to predict World Cup matches.
1. Why Does Friday the 13th Scare Us So Much?
National Geographic, 6/12/2014
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 27
Why do so many Western cultures have superstitions about the number 13? Read more and learn vocabulary words like begets, causal, ingrained, omened, phobia, and trepidation.
2. Ralph Lauren: To the Banner Born
Vanity Fair, 7/2014
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 10
Ralph Lauren is renowned today for his preppy country club fashion, but did you know he grew up in the Bronx in New York City? Read more and learn vocabulary words like aspiration, embodiment, fledgling, hypothetical, ideal, and patriarch.
3. The World Cup’s Climate Wild Card
Scientific American, 6/16/2014
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 12
Want to improve your odds of picking the winners of World Cup matches? Factor in the different climates at the different stadiums! Read more and learn vocabulary words like ailments, compromise, hypothesis, latitude, proximity, and temperate.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update