Learn 68 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles: Thanksgivukkah 2013, the problems with growing sugar, and the questionable marketing tie-ins for the Hunger Games movie franchise.
1. Thanksgivukkah Is Rare Mash-Up of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah
National Geographic, 11/22/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 19
This year, Thanksgiving and Hanukkah coincide for the first time since 1888, giving birth to the portmanteau Thanksgivukkah! Read more and learn vocabulary words like commemorates, convergence, ecumenical, predicated, profound, and sustain.
2. The Trouble With Big Sugar
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 25
There's a lot of debate over the health impact of sugar. But there is little question that growing sugar has a seriously detrimental impact on some of the poorest communities in the world. Read more and learn vocabulary words like defamatory, estuary, indigenous, libel, resolution, and unconscionable.
3. Ad campaign (lip) glosses over 'Hunger Games' message
Los Angeles Times, 11/25/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 24
The Hunger Games movie franchise had a huge weekend with the release of Catching Fire. But one fan questions whether some of the marketing tie-ins to the franchise actually belie the spirit of the movie. Read more and learn vocabulary words like austerity, conspicuous, distort, rhetoric, solidarity, and systemic.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update