Learn 94 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles: obstacles in the relief efforts after Typhoon Haiyan, pop-up schools that could change global education, and the bullying problem in the NFL.
1. Philippines: Obstacles in Relief Efforts Are Hindering Aid
U.S. News, 12/12/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 17
Relief efforts in the Philippines following the devastating Typhoon Haiyan are being hampered by logistical difficulties, including, for example, the lack of airstrips to allow planes to land with supplies. Read more and learn vocabulary words like contingent, depleted, grim, hindered, humanitarian, and looting.
2. Pop-Up Schools Could Radically Improve Global Education
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 51
A new organization is bringing low-cost pop-up schoolhouses to remote locations in Africa that desperately need them. Read more and learn vocabulary words like austere, divergence, doctrinaire, erratic, impede, and migrated.
3. Op-Ed: The NFL's bully boys
Los Angeles Times, 11/12/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 26
Bullying is unacceptable. Especially when it's being perpetrated by sports figures who should be serving as role models for kids. Read more and learn vocabulary words like disdain, gentility, lambasting, opprobrium, proselytizing, and vestigial.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update