Learn 68 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles: the terrorist attack at a shopping mall in Kenya, how wild animals have adapted to living in urban habitats, and the American love affair with owning stuff.
1. Terror in Nairobi: Behind al-Shabaab’s War With Kenya
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 33
On Saturday, armed terrorists stormed a shopping mall in Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, killing dozens of people and wounding hundreds. Read more and learn vocabulary words like disarray, faction, indiscriminate, militant, narrative, porous, and scrutiny.
2. Wild Animals of All Stripes Are Adapting to the Cityscape and Thriving
Scientific American, 9/22/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 20
As cities and suburbs grow, some wild animals have adapted to live very successfully within their new urban habitats. Read more and learn vocabulary words like anomaly, counterparts, exemplified, fledgling, metropolis, reaping, and urbanized.
3. An American dilemma: Your clutter or your life
Los Angeles Times, 9/22/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 15
Did you know that there are more storage facilities in the U.S. than there are McDonald's? Why do we love our stuff so much? Read more and learn vocabulary words like amok, enclave, excess, interrogates, materialism, obscure, and solitude.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update