Learn 76 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles: the new dystopian teen novel "The Bone Season", running DNA tests on the fish you eat, and the success of designer Michael Kors.
1. ‘The Bone Season’ Could Be the Next ‘Hunger Games,’ But Is It Any Good?
The Daily Beast, 8/21/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 31
Everyone is on the lookout for the next hot teen novel series. The latest contender is "The Bone Season", a seven-book fantasy series set in the U.K. Sound familiar? Read more and learn vocabulary words like copious, debut, garner, hallowed, oppressive, polarized, protagonist, and scion.
2. How DNA Testing Can Tell You What Type of Fish You’re Really Eating
Smithsonian Magazine, 8/20/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 27
Do you love eating salmon or tuna or red snapper? How sure are you that you're eating the type of fish that you think you're eating? Read more and learn vocabulary words like analogous, astray, benign, ecological, gastronomy, isolate, scrutinizing, and thwarted.
3. Kors Celebre
Vanity Fair, 9/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 18 (on first page)
Michael Kors is one of the most popular and lauded designers in the world. What are the secrets to his success in such a fickle industry? Read more and learn vocabulary words like cackles, connoted, disciples, empathetic, gesticulating, pedestrians, sentimental, and vulnerable.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update