Learn 73 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles: the protests in Istanbul, the Kickstarter campaign to grow glow-in-the-dark plants, and the winners of this year's ExploraVision national high school science competition.
1. Turkey Protests: Erdogan’s Fire and Brimstone
U.S. News, 6/10/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 16
The protests in Istanbul's Taskim Square have been escalating. How has Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan responded? Read more and learn vocabulary words like admonishing, anarchists, conciliatory, constituency, escalate, inadvertently, retrospect, tolerance, and volatility.
2. Glowing Plants: Awesome Kickstarter or Creepy Biotech?
Mother Jones, 6/10/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 37
It seems as if there is a Kickstarter campaign for everything! Some scientists are using the platform to raise funding to create glow-in-the-dark plants. Is this a good idea? Read more and learn vocabulary words like conjuring, eminent, entrenched, innocuous, luminous, malicious, mutate, rogue, and synthetic.
3. High School Scientists Innovate New Medical Therapies
U.S. News, 6/11/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 20
The top winners in this year's ExploraVision national high school science competition have devised innovative new treatments for heart disease, scoliosis, and more! Read more and learn vocabulary words like devised, elevated, icon, mentor, incorporate, mimic, prototype, synthesize, and theoretically.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update