Learn 57 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles about why flamingos are pink, whether the paleo diet is healthy for you, and how to stop foodborne illness outbreaks.
1. For Some Species, You Really Are What You Eat
Smithsonian Magazine, 4/24/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 19
We've all heard the saying, "You are what you eat." Apparently, that's really true for flamingos! Read more and learn vocabulary words like brine, cardinals, converted, derived, molt, pigment, plumage, synthesize, translucent, and vibrant.
2. The paleo diet isn’t necessarily ideal, an evolutionary biologist says
Washington Post, 4/22/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 22
The paleo diet is super popular right now, but is it actually good for your health? Read more and learn vocabulary words like adapted, caricature, emulate, evolve, extent, idealize, nostalgia, palatable, persistence, predicated,and subsist.
3. Can Synthetic Biology Keep Your Food Safe?
Scientific American, 4/25/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 16
Every year, we seem to have more cases of foodborne illness outbreaks. What can we do to stop tainted food from hurting people? Read more and learn vocabulary words like assays, contaminated, emitted, enzyme,generate, hone, pathogenic, and perishable.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update