Learn 154 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader with 3 articles about the life and legacy of Margaret Thatcher, Britain's first female prime minister.
1. Margaret Thatcher: Looking back on the life of the Iron Lady
The Guardian, 4/8/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 92
Margaret Thatcher, the UK's first female prime minister, passed away yesterday. Here's a recap of the highlights from her remarkable life. Read more and learn vocabulary words like ascendancy, austere, contradictions, culminated, diplomacy, formidable, nostalgia, pragmatism, and successor.
2. World Mourns Thatcher, 'A Great Briton'
U.S. News & World Reports, 4/8/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 28 (on first page)
Thatcher's influence extended beyond Britain and her death is big news around the world. Read more and learn vocabulary words like censorship, combative, concessions, discordant, draconian, ousted, prolonged, sanctioned, and unyielding.
3. Bursting the Thatcher Bubble
Mother Jones, 4/8/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 34
As this article reminds us, Thatcher was a very controversial leader who was criticized in Britain and around the world for many of her policies. Read more and learn vocabulary words like apartheid, consensus, divisive, excess, junta, opposition, provoked, regime, and vitriolic.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update