Learn 104 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader:
1. The Sad, Century-Long History of Terrible 'Wizard of Oz' Movies
The Atlantic, 3/8/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 32
According to this article, the new Oz the Great and Powerful represents just the latest in a series of forgettable Wizard of Oz spin-offs. Why has it been so difficult to successfully revisit the Emerald City? Read more and learn vocabulary words like bleak, debuted, franchise, poignant, redemption, resonate, stark, unprecedented, and vivid.
2. Let’s Not Spring Forward.
Scientific American, 3/7/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 31
Still feeling sleepy thanks to Daylight Saving Time? Some argue that this decades-old practice of resetting our clocks needs to be retired! Read more and learn vocabulary words like cacophony, clarity, counterparts, dismay, imposed, indulge, placid, robust, synchronize, and urban.
3. Egyptian Soccer Fans Rampage Over Court Verdicts
Time Magazine, 3/9/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 41
Egyptian soccer fans rampaged through the heart of Cairo on Saturday, furious about the acquittal of seven police officers while death sentences against 21 alleged rioters were confirmed in a trial over a stadium melee that left 74 people dead. Read more and learn vocabulary words like allegations, collusion, intervene, melee, negligence, terminate, unorthodox, upheld, and vital.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update