Learn 72 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader:
1. Carbs were key in wolves' evolution into dogs
Los Angeles Times, 1/23/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 20
How did some wolves evolve into dogs? By eating carbs! Apparently, dogs' ability to easily digest carbohydrates, originally from starch in scraps left behind by humans, helped enable their domestication. Read more and learn vocabulary words like adaptation, agrarian, brazen, discarded, mammoths, myriad, penchant, pivotal, temperaments, thrive, and tolerant.
2. Opinion: Sizing Up Google’s New North Korea Map
National Geographic, 1/31/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 29
Earlier this week, Google unveiled its first detailed maps of North Korea. According to this journalist, the incident highlighted both the promise and the pitfalls of citizen cartography. Read more and learn vocabulary words like abide, accessible, advent, commendable, dictated, erroneously, nuances, reclusive, repercussions, spectrum, and subtle.
3. Must-Reads from Around the World
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 23
Here's a recap of some of the major news stories reverberating around the world. Read more and learn vocabulary words like allegations, bias, boycotts, hacking, infiltration, liable, looming, migrant, premier, prosecuted, recession, retribution, synthetic, and widespread.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update