Learn 97 vocabulary words from today's Daily Reader:
1. Google and Twitter Help Track Influenza Outbreaks
National Geographic, 1/10/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 14
This flu season could be the longest and worst in years. But thanks to crowdsourcing and social media, public health officials have much better ways to track the epidemic. Read more and learn vocabulary words like analyzes, capacity, endeavors, infectious, predominant, severity, shortages, surveillance, troughs, and widespread.
2. Aaron Swartz’s Death Should Change America’s Absurd Legal System
Newsweek: The Daily Beast, 1/15/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 40
Internet activist Aaron Swartz’s death quickly became a cause célèbre for the open information movement, but what if we took the lesson of overzealous prosecutors and reformed our justice system? Read more and learn vocablary words like ascetic, bipartisan, defensible, disgorged, eschewed, legion, manifesto, martyrdom, reform, rife, surrogates, transmuted, and unfettered.
3. In Kulluk’s Wake, Deeper Debate Roils on Arctic Drilling
National Geographic, 1/11/2013
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 43
Shell's Kulluk ran aground off the southern coast of Alaska in a violent storm. The rig was towed to safe harbor, with no apparent release of fuel aboard, but the accident could have wide repercussions for Arctic drilling. Read more and learn vocabulary words like barren, evidence, existing, invariably, meticulous, proponents, repercussions, scours, and triggering.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update