1. Art.sy and the Myth of the Online Art Market
The New Republic, 10/22/2012
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 60
Art.sy - the hugely hyped new website - promises to introduce users to art they’ll enjoy via a sophisticated recommendation engine. Read more and learn words like aesthetic, approbation, contemporary, discern, dismantle, elusive, frivolous, ignoble, intrinsic, obsolescent, precarious, renounce, serendipitous, and virtuoso.
2. Review: Timothy Egan's insightful 'Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher'
LA Times, 10/18/2012
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 23 (on first page)
The unlikely career of Edward Curtis, who took enduring photos of Native Americans, is the subject of Timothy Egan's insightful and entertaining book. Read more and learn vocabulary words like apropos, civil, convey, distinct, genocide, impoverished, insightful, menial, metropolis, moniker, renowned, timeless, and victimized.
3. Deadly Dancing: Could a Nocebo Effect Explain Medieval Europe's Dancing Plagues
Scientific American, 10/19/2012
SAT/ACT Vocabulary Word Count: 33 (on first page)
You've probably heard of the placebo, but have you heard of the nocebo? The placebo's harmful counterpart, the nocebo effect - in which our expectations cause harm - is the subject of Science journalist Chris Berdik's new book. Learn more and pick up vocabulary words like afflict, conceive, contagion, contrition, deemed, epidemic, extensive, implication, myriad, pious, preceded, renounce, stigma, and toxicity.
Hope this helps! Let us know if you have suggestions for improvement!
Subscribe to the Daily SAT-ACT Reader:
- Like us on Facebook: 1 daily post
- Follow us on Twitter: 3 tweets a day
- Follow us on Pinterest 3 pins a day
- Subscribe to our Blog by Email: 1 daily email
- Subscribe to our Blog by RSS: 1 daily update