For those of you who have studied Latin, words like veracious or voracious are a slam dunk.
For those of you who haven't studied Latin, don't fret! Instead of identifying Latin word roots, you can try making word associations.
What other words sound like veracious? How about: verify? veritable? verdict?
That's right! Because all of those words are derived from the Latin word root VER or VERI which means true and genuine.
What other words sound like voracious? You'll have to be a bit more creative on this one. How about: omnivore? herbivore? carnivore?
That's right! Because all of those words are derived from the Latin word root VOR or VORAC which means to swallow or to devour.
So now you know why this statement can be interpreted as a compliment ...
- John has a reputation for being veracious
... while this statement would require some more context to interpret its meaning.
- John has a reputation for being voracious ... about what? about reading? about junk food?
Hope this helps! Looking for more?
- Check out our other commonly confused words
- Find out how to learn words without studying
- Read some of our other SAT/ACT study tips